Are you dealing with grief? Know when to turn to a mental health professional for help.
With the joys of life also come grief and loss. As much as we never want to think about it, everyone will lose someone important to them. When loss happens, our Bowie, MD, therapists understand how much grief can impact your life and well-being. Sometimes you may require support and help from a mental health professional who knows how to provide unique strategies, tips and techniques to help make coping with grief a little easier.
What Can Cause Grief?
Grief is a natural response to experiencing loss. Loss can come in many shapes and sizes. The most common causes of grief that our Bowie, MD, grief and loss counseling team sees include,
- Death of a loved one
- Chronic or severe illness or injury
- Financial loss
- Loss of a pet
- Job loss
- Empty nest
What Are the Signs and Symptoms?
Grief can cause various mental and physical symptoms that can last from days to years. Here are some of the most common symptoms,
- Trouble concentrating
- Difficulty remembering
- Nightmares or odd dreams
- Changes in sleeping habits
- Changes in eating habits
- A weak immune system (recurring infections or getting sick easily)
- Tightness in the chest
- Shortness of breath
- Intense restlessness
When Should I Turn to a Therapist?
While it’s normal to feel sad after experiencing loss, we also know that anyone can benefit from turning to a counselor for support, comfort and guidance during this challenging, transitional time. You may want to consider grief counseling if,
- You are experiencing severe irritability, anxiety or panic attacks
- You have suicidal thoughts
- You can’t get through day-to-day tasks
- You’re avoiding social interactions
- You’re turning to alcohol or drugs
- You lack a support system
- You’re dealing with multiple losses at once
- You’re feeling guilty or blaming yourself for your loved one’s death
- You have intrusive thoughts
You don’t have to deal with grief and loss alone. We offer compassionate, understanding counseling to individuals and families in the Bowie, MD, communities. To schedule your first appointment, call Therapeutics at (301) 685-5922. If you’re an existing patient, call us at (301) 750-2081.